Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rags & Chit Chat : Home for the Holidays


There’s no place like home, really. Even when you haven’t been there before you know what it feels like. A wise man once told me that the first time he stepped onto African soil, perhaps physically he had never been there, but his spirit had been there and was happy to be back. For the thousand foreigners the holidays present an opportunity to go home for a few weeks and escape life here in America.
I had been away from my homeland, Liberia for 13 years when I went home last December. Somehow the years that had passed due to school, career and life as a whole seemed to melt away as I lay on the beach at Nana’s Lodge, a popular beach resort in Grand Cape Mount County, Liberia. At that moment I made a promise to make this trip as often as possible and to always renew my commitment and love for Liberia regardless of where I was in the world or in life.
For those that will be traveling to Africa, India, Europe (or many other places that my friends and I call home) for the first time in many years and/or for those that want to travel a bit smarter this year, below are five ways to make your holiday trip to wherever, better. This is the list I wish I would have seen before my trip last year and I am hoping it will contribute to a better experience to all my lovelies.

  Get to Sewing: If you are a fashion lover like me that knows that couture pieces can be made in many foreign countries for incredibly reasonable prices, you need to get a tailor, days, if not hours, after arriving at your destination. In Liberia for instance, there are many tailors so finding one to cook up your dream pieces might take a while. I suggest getting recommendations on tailors from locals. Be clear on what you want and communicate your vision with pictures. You will need a lot of patience to deal with the schedules of tailors and possible unforeseen alterations to your pieces. The key word here is time, use it wisely and you will be able to leave with a suitcase full of fabulous pieces.

2Diversify your Experience: Partying on a beach never really gets old, does it? However, you will be happy that you saw all that your destination had to offer if you get out of the club and into a waterfall during the duration of your trip. An intentionally diverse trip will not only leave you more well rounded but will also leave you with an eclectic set of memories of it all.

   Give Back: Make time to give back to your community by visiting an orphanage, school or church. During the holidays many organizations and individuals host Christmas events for local families and children, so there are many chances to be something great to someone. Leave your homeland knowing you did something selfless to aid the country’s advancement.

4. Capture It: There is no such thing as too many pictures on a trip. Beaches, old hotels and buildings, crowded markets and more can be the dream of a photographic eye. I suggest even hiring a professional photographer to capture the spirit of the country and of your trip. You can find a local photographer for a great price and stimulate the artistic economy all at once. As a framed keepsake of your experience, all year long you’ll be able to reminisce on the good times and those pictures could be great conversation starters on your desk at work.

Note to Self: I acknowledge everyone does not love writing like I do but little notes to self are a great way to revisit a feeling and/or an experience possibly for later analysis. I have read the notes I took on my last trip to Liberia and have made some amazing self discoveries from them. So even if it’s a couple key words, jot down some tid bits from your trip. I promise it will make for a great read on the 10+ hour plane ride back.

Coming home should be a wonderful experience and with these tips it can be so much more. If you do nothing else, book that ticket to wherever home is and live it up 100% in the moment.

0 comments: