It has come to my attention that there are only 4 categories of relationships. Okay, that could be the over organized Virgo in me talking but I think I'm on to something. There may be a few shades of gray within these categories however they remain the umbrellas under which we interact with each other.
While cleaning out my metaphoric and literal closets I started thinking about whom and what deserved to be where in my life. Below are my results;
Partner: This is undoubtedly the most important person and item in your life and closet. Although you have family and friends that you love dearly there is only one person or item with which you share this kind of intimacy. Your partner is the first you call when the news is unbelievably good or disastrous. This person knows you sometimes better than they know themselves.
For some people (like myself) this is a husband, for others perhaps a brother or friend of many years. I've had some great partner practice with some extraordinary people. Those dress rehearsals have made me learn and love who I am so much more so that when I stumble upon my life partner, he's going to be in for a treat.
The equivalent of this partner in my closet is the shoe. Unlike the former, I have many sole mates and am always working on getting more. Shoes make or break any outfit. Often the shoes on my feet cost more than the rest of my entire outfit. Why? Because shoes should be about quality. In many other areas in your closet you can cut the quality corner for a trend or a great interpretation of a classic style. However when it comes to shoes it does not make financial sense to have a closet full of cheap ones that will give up on you after one season. This is the place in your closet worth investing, dry cleaning (for suede shoe lovers) and repairing. A great shoe, like a great partner will give you all the love you give it for a lifetime.
Besties: I had four best friends waiting for me when I got to this life; my mommy and my three sisters. Other than the tattoo the Garnett Girls share there is an irremovable mark that is carved on each other hearts. As for my Mommy, there is no visible mark but her influence and our love is everywhere in my life. These women plus the three other ladies I've selected as family makes me pretty spoiled with lots of sisterhood and the love that comes with it.
I have this same philosophy when it comes to purses. I want them all fly and unique like my besties. Some are classic like my oldest sister Charmille, some are Afro Futuristic like my big sister Tanya while others Sexy Fly like the sister right above me, Quellie. The point is each bag is unique and screams something about me or the me on display at the moment. Bags & besties are like mirrors; they reflect some part of who we really are inside.
Close Friends: I have a few that I love dearly. No, they’re not my best friends but many have been around for years and I’d do almost anything for them. There is love here and these people would have key roles in my Lifetime movie.
This same feeling goes for my jeans. About two years ago I went on a jean strike until I could find the perfect one. I discovered there was no perfect jean after all; like people, each one had its unique imperfection. These days I add a pair or two to my closet when I find an amazing fit but my wardrobe reflects many other options that vary from shorts, rompers, jump suits, pencils skirts, etc… The jeans that remain are versatile and sometimes the only thing, or friend that will do for a certain occasion.
Associates: This group of people aren’t really needed but isn’t life a little more entertaining with them present? Associates. Clearly not friends but people you say polite hellos to. Sometimes, they’re your dentist or perhaps someone from college. They are there to add a splash of color to life.
Trends are just that, a simple way to mix up the classics in your closet. Some will be your go to item for a season and others are hating on you silently (which you discover a season later in pictures from that era). Either way they’re for fun and will always say something about who you thought you were once upon a time.
So, that’s the truth as I know it here from 23 years of life. Insert your own understanding and just remember to be your best because being a mess is just not an option.
0 comments:
Post a Comment